MRC Studentships: How to Apply
Applications for the October 2013 intake are now closed. Applications for the October 2014 intake will open in September 2013.
There is no application form for the MRC DTA Studentships. Application documents should include the following:
Imperial's strategic areas for MRC DTA PhD studies are listed below. It is important that you include all five, as a ranked list, in order of your preference at the start of your personal statement.
- Genomic Medicine
- Infection Immunity and Immunology
- Stratified Medicine
- Population Health
The personal statement should be 1-2 pages long and should include why you are applying for an MRC DTA Studentship, the area of research you wish to focus on and why you believe that research in this area is important. Applicants are not expected to have confirmed a PhD supervisor or title before application, but a clear idea of the area you wish to pursue will be beneficial for your personal statement.
- Your nationality/visa status. Since there are nationality/residence eligibility criteria associated with the studentship you must state your nationality clearly on your CV, as well as your visa/residence status if you are not British. Please see the Eligibility Criteria for more information about residence eligibility.
- The contact details for 2 academic referees. Referees do not need to provide references at the application stage, we will only contact the referees of successful applicants after the studentships have been awarded. If you have substantial research experience within an employment setting then one of your referees can be an employer who can attest to your research skills, but the other referee must be academic.
- Education history with grades, or predicted grades for studies which are still in progress (if predicted grades are not available for BSc courses then overall grades for years 1 and 2 of the course can be provided instead). A full grades transcript is not necessary.
- Research experience with a summary of skills and techniques used.
Applicants should submit the above to Mrs Nousheen Tariq via email - firstname.lastname@example.org.